Saturday, November 7, 2009

I want to learn a web language, am I losing my time and google will have a site builder like blogger?

Or will programming always have its place on the web? I'm not sure if it's a good path to take in the long run .


Have any idea of the language I should try (php, .net, ruby?)


Thanks for your answer!






I want to learn a web language, am I losing my time and google will have a site builder like blogger?
Good Question..I have built websites in PHP and .NET.


PHP is very easy to learn and develop applications. Things thing I hate about PHP is that they dont have a full featured IDE and maintanence is a pain. When you finally have your site DONE and you want to make a design change it may take you weeks if not days to make a single change. The hosting costs for PHP is awesome even on dedicated servers compared to .NET. PHP execution times are fast and I have done many benchmark tests to compare PHP to .NET.





.NET on the other hand is a little bit harder to learn but once you learn it it can be much more enjoyable to develop applications then PHP. I currently use .NET to make my web applications now and i have been alot less stressed out -- I can make changes to the site very easy and does not require a team of developers. I will never go back to PHP because .NET the development time is very short and stressless. The IDE is expensive but in the long run you will definitly get your investment back. .NET has built-in caching which makes it blazing fast and most of the time faster then PHP.





I have never used Ruby/RoR but have heard it is very powerful and has a unique syntax. Ironically, I have a full tutorial on the Ruby language here: http://www.meshplex.org/wiki/Ruby/Ruby_o...


Ruby is powerful but has the slowest execution time of the 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive